>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Saturday, June 25, 2011

First 44 Rem Mag hand loads with unexpected results.

100y 44 Rem Mag.  Click image for larger view
I sinned and picked up a Marlin 336CB in 44 Rem Mag, ballard rifling.  I know, it is not the "real game" but a bunch of folk play the lever gun game and it seemed to me I was missing out on a bunch of fun.

Shooting the 30-30 and 44 lever guns have been a way for me to start learning how to reload in baby steps.  I cast up some 44s using a Lyman 2 cavity 429215.  Most of them fill out to over .430 so they get a nice squaring up of the driving bands when they run through the .430 sizer.  I found slugging my 30-30 barrel to be inconclusive.  I might have to try again on the 44 barrel.  Something about tapping a projectile through a barrel with a brass rod that still makes me nervous.

I started with my nice set of RCBS Cowboy dies, Federal primers and Unique which is what Mark gave me and what Bob says works very well in his Microgroove 336.  6.5 grains to start.  12" pattern.  6.0 grains was about the same.  I was pretty discouraged because I was testing my bullets w/o gas checks in hopes I could find something that I could use for CLA..  Then I tried 7 grains and wow.  Not to say it is great but it was nice to see a 3.5" group after a 12" with just .5g more powder.  I guess 7.5 grains is the next test.  A bit more recoil than 6.5 but something I should be able to live with.

The other concurrent test was to see if Federal primers would give me as many FTF problems.  CCI primers drove me crazy at the first match I shot the 44 but the Federals worked 100%.  Good news, it must be a primer issue, not a gun issue.

This was shot off a bench with a 20x scope.  No wind to speak of.  The far right shot  was me although it seems to have cut the paper differently.  All other shots were reasonable given my bench, rest and ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment