>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Saturday, August 4, 2012

1/5th NRA animals vs. Club in New Hampshire

I'll warn you, this post is my opinion and it may not be the consensus of other shooters.  Bottom line, two things inhibit the "real game" of 1/5th NRA silhouette in our NH program.

First, club rifle is analogous to learning to ride a bike with training wheels.  It builds confidence but not skill.  Yes, it is a great way to get exposed to the game.  Learn how the under appreciated 22LR is extremely accurate out to 100m.  I laughed when I first saw the big rams at 100m.  Until my mentor hit them and they all fell down.  Then it was my turn and now the joke was on me!

Some background:

My first silhouette match EVER was in Ft. Worth, Texas at the Haltom City Rifle and Pistol Club. The match was called the "FUN" match.  At this match, we got there at 8 or earlier and as a group we set up the steel.  Thin 1/2 scale targets, white, stood on stands.  We would set up 3 or maybe 5 banks depending on what the turnout looked like.  We'd pair up in squads of two shooters.  Every new shooter was assigned a veteran. If, and only if, all the new shooters had coverage, would a veteran shoot with another veteran.

After my mentor, EK, politely inspected the gun I brought, he told me to put it away and we would shoot his gun and his ammo.  A beautiful original 52B sporter and Lapua Club in a can similar to a can of Pringles. 

My point, there was a fun match with large targets to INTRODUCE shooters to the game.  Sure, veterans were there to shoot and they always fought to see who could hit and down 40.  Typically they all shot 37-39s.  But mostly, they were there to focus on exposing new shooters to the sport they love.  Loaning equipment, giving counsel, explaining scopes, advising how to pick ammo and lastly, having fun.  One guy had was what called the "2x4 gun".  An old Mossberg crudely fitted to a 2x4 and wrapped with fence wire.  The stock, a 2x4, looked like is was fashioned (I can't say inletted) with an axe.  He often was in the top 3 hitting 35+.  Although I did not understand the game enough at the time, clearly his point was, "this is not an equipment game!"  He gave me a brick of Eley yellow box and paper targets and told me to practice.  I was stunned.  Guess that was a good investment, I am still here 12 years later.  My point, the fun shoot was a time to nurture new shooters first and have some fun second.  And, because it was squadded, we all finished at the same time, put away animals and a small group would have lunch nearby.  I was always welcome to join them.

So, the 1/2 scale game was called the "Fun Match".  The 1/5th was called the "Real Match" and it was held the following weekend.  Their goal was to help shooters graduate from fun to real.

When it comes to the real game, now the 2x4 gun stayed home.  The real ammo, the real equipment, the spotting scopes on tripods came out.  The game changed from fun to fun but with greater focus on the task at hand.

Since EVERYONE was shooting 1/5th it was squaded.  Everyone had a spotter.  The NRA books came out.  Classification became real.  Pins became real.

1/2 scale is forgiving.  It will let you pull the trigger and "pass shoot" and still drop the animal in the sand giving you a false sense of improving your game.  The truth is or my concern is, you are getting positive re-enforcement of bad technique.  Yes, you can develop poor technique and still drop 1/2 scale animals.  When a shooter then tries to shoot small 1/5th animals, what was a "good shot" on 1/2, now can be below the rail on 1/5th.  Even worse, the shooter thinks they were robbed because what felt like a good break as on the big animals fails to come close to a small animal.  And that is why I think we have low participation in the 1/5th game.

The final obstacle is for new shooters to learn the 1/5th game without a spotter or coach.  

You won't get better if you don't take off the training wheels and practice on 1/5th to see what is really going on.  So few make the transition.  If everyone tired 1/5th, then maybe we would have a bunch of B shooters with 11 and 12 animals.  That is where everyone starts their long slow climb.  It's nice to have company.

Please be sure to come to my1/5th only squaded 60 shot match September 30th!  I will not require NRA books be purchased for this one match.  I will ensure new shooters have spotters and you will hopefully walk away with a better undestanding of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment