>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Eye dominance and blinders

While at the last match at PEMI I was coaching a new shooter.  I noticed that the non aiming eye was closed or mostly closed and I decided to ask about eye dominance. 

For me, I happen to be RH dominant but Left Eye dominant.  Sure, experts would say, change to shooting lefty.  Although I did try it briefly, I was not ready for a two year investment in making the change.  So, I shoot RH with a blinder on my left eye.  But, it was some time before I ever tried a blinder.  I only tried it to see why others did so. 

My personal finding was that it significantly increased my "calm" and general "patience" when shooting.  My take, squinting takes muscle and therefore creates some form of stress when we are supposed to be relaxing EVERYTHING to find that bone on bone position.  Try it yourself.

The topic also comes up as to what color make the blinder.  I found THIS article to take my understanding of the human eye to a new level that may impact iron sight shooters re depth of focus.  Have a read and enjoy.

I strongly encourage shooters to try a blinder on the scope or a small piece of 3M Scotch tape on your glasses to "occlude" the non shooting eye.  Regardless of eye dominance.

No comments:

Post a Comment