>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lyman moulds 429215 vs 429421

Well, I have been in search of a non gas check bullet for the 44.  Seems the gun does well w/o the GC so why not find a mould that is a non GC mould.  Well, I got one but wow.  Huge lube groove and, 251 to 252 gr.  It is a bigger bullet no doubt.  I am questioning if I should even mess with it.

Here are some of the issues.  First, it is heavier.  Second, it drops a full .434 vs the 429215 which drops .4305 to .431.  You can really see the sizing push the lead around on the 429421.  The good news, it makes for much more driving band surface area.  So, it will eat lube, kick like a mule and perhaps get better engagement in the barrel.  This bullet, if I had the dies, could be sized .431 or .432 and I think it would still engage in the sizer.  More variables to chase.  I figure I will load up 10 and see if the results warrant further investigation.  I also find it odd that two Lyman 429XXX moulds drop such a different diameter bullet. I guess that is why serious shooters move to custom moulds.

I also read that the 429421 is too long to cycle through a Marlin 1894CB.  Well, I put this in two empty cases and it has no handling issues.  Fast, slow, careless, careful.  Cycles fine.  I do see some marks on the bullet but I loaded them through the tube feed and that very may well have been the culprit.

As I review the options for my "skinny" 215 mould, I found this Beagling PDF which seems worth at least a short experiment.  Others might find it to be an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment