>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Colt Woodsman Box with SN 100173

Going through old stuff of my Dad's and buried amongst all the artifacts in the attic of 60 years, I found a bit of history.  To my amazement, he kept the box for a gun that had been stolen out of his car almost 70 years ago.  He had purchased the gun before WWII but it was stolen sometime after the war but before he married my mother.  Let's assume late 40's the gun was stolen but that is a guestimate.

The only reason the story came up and I have any recollection of what happened was because whenever the replacement gun was brought out for some plinking, the loss was remembered.  I assume in an effort to replace what he lost, he picked up the best possible facsimile which was a 4 1/2" barreled "Sport" version mfg in 1937 vs the one he lost which had the "Target" 6 1/2" barrel.  I learned the story only through hearing how the replacement was not half the gun his first one was.  And that is about as much as I can remember.

I decided the old box, manual and price tag would be fun to share with others.  Almost akin to opening a time capsule.  The SN on the box is 100173 and it is labeled TARGET with an additional label of PARTRIDGE SIGHTS.  Something I may research should time permit.  There is a wonderful Woodsman website HERE which tells me the box and gun were produced in early 1936.  It would be fascinating to attempt to locate the original gun with today's modern marvels courtesy of the internet.  I am trying to flush such fantasy and continue on more pressing projects.  I hope you find these pictures as interesting as I do.  As always, click on the image for the full picture.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment