>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mould maintenance and Evapo-Rust

It was a cool morning, about 6:30 and I decided to fire up the melting pot and melt my collection of junk lead and see if I could get the rythm going and maybe cast a couple hundred bullets before 8.  After cleaning up my lead mix with sawdust and getting all the dross out I began the process of getting the mould to temp.  After about 10 cycles I start looking at bullets.  Not good yet.  After about 20 cycles I am starting to look more closely because by now I should be up to temp.  Some areas of the bullet are perfect but other areas are speckled.  I inspect the mould...RUST!

About four months back I stored the mould with a full pour and left the sprues on.  Prior times I would coat with oil and just deal with getting the oil off when I got ready to use them again.  That had been a problem too so I tried what others suggested on a casting forum.  My advice, skip the 'store with cast bullet' technique and use your favorite oil.

I went to my favorite casting forum and did a search. I did the normal sheet rock screw in the bottom of the bullet and spin with your favorite polishing compound.  This did not do the trick.  So, I decided to try Evapo-Rust. Have a look at this picture to see why I decided to try it.  I did and my mould is better than it has ever looked!  An overnight soak was all it needed.  Now I just need some time to cast with it.  Other items on the to do list.  The mould is now coated with oil and awaits another day.

This stuff works and is $9 for 32 oz at AutoZone in Concord, NH.

No comments:

Post a Comment