>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Importance of testing the gun on the bench to a "control" target

A few folks have asked where I have been.  Well, we had the 4th of July and a few other family issues which have taken priority over shooting.  Heck, I have not even tried my 7.5 and 8.0 gr loads for my 44 Rem Mag which have been on my bench for two weeks.

I did manage to make it to PFFG for their match today and I always walk away wondering why I don't work harder (practice) for this stuff and see if I can figure out how to improve or at least shoot consistently.  I do enjoy the game and hope I can get others to enjoy it as much as I do.

One event or observation over the past two weeks.

The challenges another shooter has been fighting reminds me of the importance of having a "control" for your rig.  Your rig is a system which includes barreled action, ammo, stock, scope, rings, trigger, even your bolt knob!  It is tempting to play with MANY variables in search of better scores.  Whenever working with your equipment you need to have a "control" that is carefully documented. When things go haywire, you simply go back and see if you can replicate the control.  If you can't, then you have made a change for the worse and you need to undo it.  Of course it is ALWAYS advised to make just one change at a time.

I keep a binder for each gun and in it goes all targets with detailed notes.  What seems like too much information 10 minutes after shooting the target is never enough information a year later as you try to digest what is effectively your "engineering notebook".

When I get ready to make my gun into an expensive tomato stake, I counsel myself to see if I can duplicate the control.  For me, it is my 1710 with a Weaver T24, Pharr stock and 711B off the bench at 100m. Before my range trip I clean the barrel.  I lightly coat the bore with Kroil, muzzle down to ensure any surplus fluid does not get into the action.  Clean that out 24 hours later, a little JB Boreshine, clean that out with Hoppes and the run patches until clean and head to the range.  I have a standard target on 8.5 x 11 paper divided into quadrants where I shoot 20 shots, 5 at 4 POAs for group.  If I am miles away from my control I know I have made a change or done something that needs to be found and undone.

In NH we make very little use of the bench.  Less than in other regions I have competed.  In other parts of the country everyone confirms their chicken zero on real benches and real rests before the match starts.  Adjust knobs to zero/zero and then quickly confirm pigs, turkey and rams.  0, 2, 4.5, 8.0.  Or something like that.  If it happens to be 0 2 5.0 8.25 that day then so be it and shoot the match accordingly.

In NH we step up to chickens w/o much opportunity to ensure we are seeing the normal group size at 40m.  That does not make the 1/5th game any easier.  It really puts the onus on the shooter to make good calls and watch where the bullet hits.  Not something easily done for new shooters because it takes years to develop this skill.  I don't have a solution but merely share an observation.  New shooters should always invite a veteran to spot for them to avoid getting frustrated.

Good shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment