>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Thursday, June 9, 2011

When a shell holder is a shell holder.... but.for a different tool.

Nothing new here for savvy reloaders but I am just dipping a toe in the water.  I was fortunate enough to purchase some of John Livingston's reloading equipment to seed the dark side of reloading.  John sucked me into this mess, I was just hoping he would be here to educate me.  I am honored to be keeping his equipment running and hopefully will be able to share what I learn with other newbies or even the next generation.  At this point I am still a newbie myself so that is a few years out.  Some of what I picked up includes a complete set of Lee shell holders and a RCBS Jr press with a shell holder in it.  But, as luck would have it, not the #2 needed for 30-30.  Instead it had a #23 which must have been used for loading 32 Auto.

RCBS Press Shell holder vs Lee Primer Shell holder?
I was told RCBS and Lee  shellholders are basically interchangeable except take care to note they may have different overall heights and therefore are not 100% interchangeable.  This nice cross reference would certainly suggest they are interchangeable but based on the picture to the right, Lee and RCBS are just not designed to affix to the ram the same way.  I don't have a Lee press.  Perhaps what I have is a set of Lee shell holders but for the Lee PRIMER tool!!  And, there is a whole different set for the PRESS...argh!  Live and learn.  I found the RCBS #4 is fairly close to a #2 and it allowed me to size four 30-30 junk shells.  Still, I will scrounge up a #2 and do it right

update 6/20/11.  I purchased a #18 and a #2 to go along with my #4 and #23.  My 44 Rem Mag range brass is now ready to load.

No comments:

Post a Comment