>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

H&R Premier Small Frame Auto Ejecting 32 S&W

click on picture for full image
And now for something non Silhouette just because I find it to be interesting.  I may do other non silhouette posts because too much of one thing can get boring.

The gun pictured on the right is one of two handguns that remain from my my father's collection.  In 1992 he sold 8 of 10 handguns.  These things happen.  I suppose at the time he was ecstatic to get the $4,000 for the lot.  My favorite was his Colt New Service 8" barrel SN 58470.  It had what my Dad called a hair trigger and the blueing was a mile deep.  I never shot it but it was a piece of art in your hands.  It is long since gone to some collector along with the Lugers, Broomhandle Mausers and a Walther P-38.  But this little guy for some odd reason was kept for personal defense. I found it in his desk. 

What I find amazing is the date of manufacture.  Per my father's notes, he called It a "Harrington & Richardson Pocket Revolver 5 shot in 32 S&W".  His note card put an estimated date of mfg to be between 1920 and 1930.  I found a forum that discusses these guns and learned it is much older than that!


Based on the serial number, this gun was manufactured in 1898 in Worcester, Massachusetts.  The gun has not gone far from home during its 115 years and I suspect it has had little to no use. One advantage of being an obscure calibur is it won't be shot much.  Here is a post from Jim Hauff who collects H&Rs and was willing to share his considerable knowledge after collecting them for 16 years.

click on picture for full image
YOU HAVE an excellent example of a 1st Model PREMIER SMALL FRAME AUTO EJECTING 3rd Variation (1897-98). They rarely show up with that much color case on the trigger. Serial number fits within the known range for that mod. and var. Since it is pre 1905 production - H&R would not recommend the use of smokeless/Nitro powders in the earlier guns - their prohibition not mine. The BLUED finish is very scarcely found in these early examples and is worth a premium to collectors. Prefix code 'O' seems to have been used in 1898. Current RETAIL value, in my humble estimation for a piece in that condition would be in the range of $275 - $300 if presented to the right audience. NICE heritage piece.

also: it has the latch hold open device - the small button on the left side of the top strap, when pushed all the way in while lifting the two piece latch, then released will hold the latch and cylinder retainer upward while you remove the cylinder - DO NOT attempt to reinstall the cylinder without the latch and retainer hook upright or you will "engrave" a very fancy pattern all over the surface of the cylinder - I've got a couple that folks have so embellished.  (original post)


I just thought I would change things up a bit.  Should anyone have reloading dies I am casually thinking of loading up some fresh ammo.  Most likely it will sit in storage as it has for the past 60 years.  Maybe I will do the other handgun should there be interest. SAAMI link on exact case size.  Lyman mould would be a 311252 or 311227 should anyone be willing to loan a mould or cast some for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment