>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Friday, January 18, 2013

Good reading on scope testing

The topic of scope testing came up again.  I refereed them to my posts on the matter as I really do not have any new material.

BUT!  There was a wonderful website by a Canadian Fellow with some tips and tricks.  A Dan Theodore had done some extensive testing on various brands of scopes. His article was useful not just from the objective data about scopes but also for his methodology.  I have regretted more than once that I could not point people back to this wonderful article.

Recently I found this web based tool which is part of the Library of Congress.  I can only gather there is some desire to archive the somewhat perishable website information.  If you have an old URL or even just want to see what a URL "used to say", put it in their "way back machine" and select from a calendar when you want to see the website.  I put in my missing or "broken" link and viola, there was the old website with the wonderful scope testing article!

Here is the "way back tool".  Correct, this is not shooting related, just a handy tool.

Here is an excellent read regarding scope testing saved by the "way back tool".  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

As info, here are some past blog entries re scopes:

Starter Scope
Entry level Scope
Canting a scope...why 
Shooting the box.....see scope repeatability HERE.

I am a little surprised.  I thought I had made an extensive post on how to "shoot a box" to test a scope's ability to return to zero aka repeatability.  I will keep on looking.  For now, you have to go to the last link and read about "scope repeatability" as I have not written my own version.  What I like about Dan's test is that ammo variability, wind and other issues are pretty much eliminated.  A quality 10m target air rifle will shoot one hole all day long.  His test truly measures the repeatability of a scope.  There are some great nuggets in his article.  I am glad I could find it.




No comments:

Post a Comment