>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Thursday, November 8, 2012

10 meter Air Rifle: 2012-2013 Season has begun

I guess this is the third year of air at Pioneer Monday nights.  I have been a less than devout competitor.  In fact, this blog was started out of my desire to create a way to make practice interesting.  Knowing that I have to document my progress, my results, my success and failure.  Amazing how different it is when you have to actually evaluate what happened and document vs. just chucking the gear in the car and leaving the range to pursue the next crisis of the moment.

So. match #1 notes:

I went in cold turkey.  First step is the gear.  Which was a problem.  I have misplaced my budget Kronus 65mm 45 degree spotting scope.  I tried to use a straight and it just did not work.  I ended up just focusing on shooting vs. shooting and looking at the results.  And, this may tell me something when I look at my scores.  Everything else was well organized.

Zero was a bit high so I brought it down.  I use Miesterkugeln wadcutters.  I own them and a few years ago, tests showed they held the 10 ring better.  I would like to burn up some miscellaneous stuff but, for 80 shots, what the heck.  Burn the good stuff.  I see you can even get them from Amazon.  HA!

The first three shots went like this.  9, 10, 8.....and then a 4.  DUH!.  This is a mental game.  I could not believe how well I was shooting and started to think about it.  Next an 8 then a 5.  WOW!  Got mad and worked on it.  9, 10, 9, 9 for a 81/100.  Crappy yet not considering.  If my two bad shots were 8s, I would have had an 88.  Still, not near my PBT (Personal Best Ten) of 94.  Ironically, after I gave up on the spotting scope I shot an 88 for my last target.  Guess I need to find that Kronus!

Lessons:

On the bottom bull, put the but up in the middle shoulder.  NO MUSCLES to get to the lower bull which I seem to do and have poor results.

Squeeze vs pull.  Pass shooting vs. slowing the gun down.  I might take some weight off the front. I am not sure the theory "more is better" is helping me.  At this moment, I am taking pull pass shots vs. squeeze hold shots.  Something to work on.

Never give up.  I started to get tired and told myself..DON'T EVER GIVE UP!  So, I had another nice reinforcing lesson.  My best 10 was my last 10!

Where it stacks up.  Last year my first match was a 515.  My PBT was 94, my PBS (personal best sixty) is 539.  Last year I only made it to 532 and that was a struggle.  So, 540 is this year's goal.  That is a huge number of points to pick up!  It all comes down to priorities.

#1 501 (81 81 84 85 82 88)

2012 or last year's results.

Next post, how you too can get into air this winter.

Want to see more posts about 10 meter air?  Just use the search in the top left and put in "10 meter' or just 'air'.



No comments:

Post a Comment