>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Smallbore Cowboy, tips on how to shoot master scores.

I am happy to see so many folks shooting one category.  I think more shooters in one category makes it generally more interesting.  Shooters have something in common with one another and can swap tips and find out what works and what does not.

My effort here is aimed at helping those who want to improve their SBCB results.  With some focus and attention, I think the Cowboy Smallbore Grand Slam pin is the most achievable of all the Grand Slam pins.  So, with that in mind, here are a few tips I after my multi year pursuit of the grand slam pin..

Pair gun and ammo.
Adopt sight system you can see
Make sure your sight system is repeatable
Document sight settings and Sight Picture for each animal
Practice squeeze and hold post break.

Get a spotter to work with you at the match.

Pair gun and ammo: 
You need to do this with every gun and the no frills lever or tube fed pump gun is no exception.  There are two options.  Best option, put a scope on it and find the best ammo at 100m.  You can buy a little weaver rail for small money that lets you put a scope on a Marlin 39A, the most common smallbore cowboy gun..  The Winchester 9422 is similar but requires "tip-off" sights.  If you can't put a scope on it, you are going to need to be more creative and dedicated.  Find a sight system that lets you focus on a paper bullseye.  Target (globe) inserts are a good solution and are darn near as precise as a scope.  I will add, lever guns are not as "bench friendly" as a bolt gun.  Tip: Best accuracy can be had off the bench when the rifle is supported under the action, not the barrel/tube magazine.  Let's face it, that ram is not all that small.  But, YOU need to be confident your ammo will give you a group no larger than 3 MOA at 100m.  Until you finalize on your rimfire ammo, there is no reason to pursue step 2.  This might take three trips to the range to ensure you have the right solution.  Once found, buy 2x the amount of ammo you think you need.  That ammo is then dedicated to that rifle.  When I bought my ammo for my gun I also bothered the clerk at Riley's to ensure it was all the same lot as what I settled on.  It's just one more variable to rule out.


Adopt a sight system you can see.
Somewhat subjective.  But, if you are not happy with the sight picture and your ability to see what you are aiming at, you will only frustrate yourself.  Factory post? Globe with insert?  Post with fiber optic?  Upside down or right side up post?  Size of rear eyepiece? Rectangular eyepiece?  Everyone has different eyes and I cannot suggest what path to take.  I like having a globe front sight.  Yet my top score was with a simple fiber optic post.  Do some research, test out what others are using.  Make a decision and then stay the course for at least a season.  Search Norman Wong or go HERE to find a start to a long list of resources you can review and work with your eye care professional.

Make sure your sight system is repeatable.
Iron sights are no different than scopes.  They have to be repeatable.  The good news, they are 100% mechanical unlike a scope which is both an optic and a mechanical device.  With iron sights, it is their only function to move the rear eyepiece up and down.  Still, some of the new price point offerings are not made with the care of earlier sights.  Test your setup between chickens and rams and make sure nothing strange s going on. For those with the tools, try THIS.  I use an old Lyman 66MC made of 100% steel.  You can do whatever you want.  It was just one less variable.

Document sight settings an sight picture for each animal.
0 --><-- 30 and green dot
Here is where the rubber meets the road.  Here is what I did.  I made stencils for each animal out of luan.  Buy some black spray paint and use the stencils to make paper targets on white paper or corrugated.  Start with chickens working on just one animal per visit.  I would have a spotting scope or binoculars, a printed 1/5th chicken, pen and I will write and number each shot on my paper.  Take 10 shots and find the sight picture that is dead nuts on.  Look at your penned hits and see if it is telling you anything.  On average, too high?  Too left?   Adjust to a "zero/zero" setting and use nail polish on screw head if need be to ensure you can always return your gun to a chicken zero at 40m.  Take detailed notes of the sight picture that works for your setup, your eyes.  If that is a sliver of white under the animal than so be it.  Only you can find that sight picture that your eyes and brain can easily find and then execute.  Don't feel like there is some rule you have to follow.  Write a few sentences capturing what gives you center hits.  I was always amazed at how I would write a short note and come match day, I would have an "oh ya, right, I remember now" moment and kick myself for missing the first two chickens. 

Repeat at each animal.  You can do what you want but I strongly suggest working on just one animal per visit.  I practice belt and suspenders with my Lyman 66MC.  I note the number of clicks as well as what my pointer should be pointing at on the knob.  My nob has numbers and I write down via a small picture what number or hash mark the pointer should be pointing at.  Seems silly but it works for me.  If nothing else I don't doubt my settings, I can just doubt my shooting ability!

Practice:
Once you have your gun & ammo, sight settings, sight picture it is time to practice.  Stating the obvious I know.  Pick the animal that is giving you fits and practice that distance and only that distance.  Zero in on sight picture and good breaks.  Dry fire using the safety or just pull back the hammer and take 2 dry fires on each spent case and then cycle the lever for a fresh round.  Flinch?  Pulling not squeezing?  All the basics.


The match, it's all about the spotta!
Find a like minded shooter who wants to improve.  You can't play this game without a spotter.  PERIOD!  To the shooter, without a spotter all you know is the animal fell and therefore all you can do is try to repeat the sight picture.  It is possible the animal was hit on the foot and that feedback in invaluable as you prepare for the next shot.  When your buddy goes through, return the favor.  The sport is more fun when you can help your fellow shooter.

May a grand slam pin be in your future!



No comments:

Post a Comment