>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Monday, September 26, 2011

Starter Rifle...adults, again.

A few months back I made a post about what to get as a starter gun.  I would hate to think of the amount of digital ink that has been expended on this topic by others on the multitude of forums out there.  And, I don't want to suggest I have any better insight than the other guy.  I could say the sky is blue and some will say it is black.  This is just information.

I listed the NS522, CZ452, if the "gun you own" will not suffice.  Sure, move up the price point and you can look at Sako Finnfires, Kimber HS or any Kimber 82.  A Ruger 10/22 or 77/22 are options but typically need some TLC so I don't include them.  The Win 52B Japanese version is a good gun but they no longer trade for small money.

For value, the biggest sleeper is the Remington 541, 580, 581 and 582.  These rifles are generally available and are known for their VERY FAST lock time.  541s have some collector appeal and are not as affordable as they used to be.  580 is a single shot and likely the best value for the $$$.  581 is magazine fed and I am guessing were the most commonly produced.  The 582 is an odd bolt gun with a tube magazine.  Go figure!

The knock against the 58X family is the trigger is not adjustable but this link will show you or your gun smith how to fix that.  The 541 is adjustable.  My intention is not to start a stampede to the local pawn shop for these guns.  I was asked about an inexpensive starter gun and other than the CZ and I felt a used 581 or variant is a good idea.  They even made them in left hand version.  I have seen all the guns and a NS522 is still my pick.  Heavy, built like a tank, two beefy action screws, accurate hammer forged barrel.  Trigger can be improved in a similar manner to the link above.

There are so many options out there.  The best gun is the one you own and ammo it likes.

See you at the next match.

No comments:

Post a Comment