>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hunter gun with 24x as comparison

I decided it would be interesting to run the same test with the Hunter gun as I did with the Standard gun.  I am a fan of the "one gun" strategy but sometimes it is something I question.  Even after a second day of testing I am tempted to return to two guns.  But, I should not.  I might shoot one match and see what happens.


1710 with 24x at 40m


Method:  15 shots at one small POA and use On Target to calculate the groups in comparison to the 15 shots with the Std gun.  The trial is identical except I put a square aiming point so I knew what my aiming point was.  Last time I kinda lost it as it was round.  You can see a small bit of square ballpoint pen.

Once the hole started to open up it was easier to break on the larger aiming spot.  Based on this data the 4 oz trigger and 36x scope is not aiding a tighter group, just the opposite.  Hummmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jud,
    Not sure how this applies to scopes but...

    I shoot with diopter sights and found a larger front closed up groups. I asked around and was told the smaller hole can be more accurate but the tendency is to try and center the target which is good. The rub appears when the distance between the edge of the target and hole is too slim, the shooter doesn't have fine enough motor control to even things out, runs by the "center" and grabs the trigger. A larger opening hides the small movement and the shooter squeezes the trigger.

    The higher mag of the 36X might give you a margin of error too small to do anything about and you get all screwed up trying to center or still the sight pic and thus start grabbing the trigger.

    The 24x might allow your hold to be within the range of visible error (still on target) so you are quieter and squeezing.

    It'd be an interesting experiment to use a lower power scope and see what happens.

    Thanks for the posts.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, you raise a very valid issue. All too often shooters race to a higher magnification (smaller diopter) in hope of better results. Truth be told, it often backfires. The increased perception, and I use that word on purpose, of movement can induce bad habits. The perception of increased movement can increase arousal, another key training word, and thus the brain short circuits good form. Such as snapping at the trigger which typically yields poor results.

    Whenever starting youth with diopter sights it is best to start big to build confidence. Once their hold firms up you can move them to a smaller front insert. Start too small and they only get frustrated.

    My dream would be to train with a 36x and work on getting things to slow down and on match day, shoot a 24x. In reality, if I am not dry firing 100 shots per day, the issue is nothing but being lazy. Or, to be kinder to myself, other priorities.

    Many top shooters use the Weaver T36 scopes or the Premier Recital boosted Leupold which takes the normal 6.5-20 to 18-40 IIRC. Sadly, Premier has stopped this service and these scopes are now highly valued. Skip Holmes has one. I never obtained one. The two new Leupold Silhouette scopes are offered in 25x and 30x. Not a good place to start. I always suggest a Weaver KT-15 to start but even this discontinued scope is getting hard to find. 15x is more than enough magnification to begin the sport.

    Again, this is a human sport, not a equipment race. Sometimes I use equipment experimentation as a means to get me out and practice, it makes things a bit more interesting. Hopefully this does not cause new shooters to walk away thinking they need fancy gear. I have been doing this for 10 years and I have to swap things up to keep it fresh.

    ReplyDelete