>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Sunday, May 22, 2011

2,878 days later.....

I finally managed to hit the tenth ram!  Way back July 7, 2003, I managed to clean 15 turkeys with my Winchester Model 74.  Attempted a long run but after 3 shots I missed number 4 and ended up with 18 which sadly did not get me a long run record.  Truth is, I did not shoot much SBCR after that because my 74 malfunctioned and I began the hunt for a used 39A.  After a time I found one but right before I was relocated to Memphis, so I decided to leave it in Texas with Nomad where I knew it would be put to good use.  When I moved to NH in 2007, I renewed the effort after Nomad kindly returned the rifle in person.  That was an expensive day at Rileys!

Still, 800 competitive shots, 640 hits, 160 misses and 18 attempts later this blind hog found the acorn.  I am unclear why I could hit 10 turkeys but not rams!  Ammo evaluation was likely the largest contributor (CCI Mini-mag).  A new firing pin may have been more placebo than anything else.  Of course, "it's all about the spotta", thanks Handsome Dave!

From back of 2011 score book
10-in-a-rows.  For the newbies out there, here is the 411.  Shooting 5 in a row is quite an accomplishment.  To recognize the effort all shooters who are AA class or below get a 5 in a row pin.  It is fun to see if you can get a 5 in a row pin for each animal.  When you graduate to AAA class, 5 in a row pins are no longer awarded and are replaced with 10 in a row pins.  A 10 in a row is a big deal and is officially registered with the NRA with what is called a "Grand Slam Form".  Over time you keep working on collecting them for each animal.  Once you get all four animals, you are awarded a Grand Slam pin by the NRA which is numbered and recognizes a significant accomplishment!  When you get your first Grand Slam you should fill in the grid at the back of your score book as seen to the right.  For more info on awards go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment