>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Step 1, the equipment

Blaze ready to go
Traveling with a firearm.  It is not that bad if you go with a full understanding of the FAA and airline laws.  Domestically at least, the FAA has an umbrella law but the Airline or captain of the vessel has last say on what will or won't go on the plane.  SWA allows 11 lbs of ammo in its original packaging. I swear is used to be 7. Firearm must be in a locked in a suitable but not approved case. 

I have had two tangles.  One their fault, one mine.  First, many think that the gun and the ammo cannot travel in the same case.  Well, review the airline rules and if you with, have them with you.  SWA clearly states ammo and gun can travel together.  One time I was forced to pull ammo from gun case and put it in my suitcase which then went over the 70 lbs.  Some stressful repacking in front of all the world was not fun but I got it sorted.  20 minutes later the agent came up to me and acknowledged I was correct and appreciated my cooperation.

Last year I won 2500 rounds of ammo.  As such I rolled the dice and packed it in hopes of no one enforcing the 11 lb rule.  NOT!  Had to pull all my ammo out and weigh it and we cut a deal.  I tossed out some cheap stuff and she let me go.  Lesson learned, don't cheat too much.  TSA blew the whistle after I was checked in but differed the issue to the airline.  The airline then had to do their job.  I don't hold it against them.

In this picture you see 19 boxes or 750 rounds which is 7lbs 5 oz. Insurance, you just take your chances I guess.  I think the max per "fare paying passenger" is $3,300 and I am traveling on a FF coupon.  I suspect there are options.  This particular case is a very strong Cabella's aluminum shotgun case I was given by a friend after a company dove hunt.  Best dove hunt ever! Fits in rental cars more easily than a beautiful Pelican 1750, the best case on the market.  Just no one has given me one yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment