>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Friday, November 9, 2012

Cheap yet accurate 10m rifle, the Daisy model 853 Part 1

Go buy a Daisy Model 853 pump.  You can buy them used from CMP for $100.  Or new for $200.  Ok, stop your snickering.  These cheaply made die cast and plastic rifles just happen to have a Lothar Walther barrel hung off the end of that cheap action.  And, they shoot lights out!  PERIOD!  Review here.

The worst thing about these guns is the trigger which is made out of plastic.  But, like every accurate gun out there, creative folks have come up with a solution to solve that problem.  HERE is a article on how to fix them.  They happen to use a model 888 which is the same gun but CO2 powered.  Costs more, have to have a CO2 tank and connector.  They are even nicer and I had 8 of them for a 4H program in Texas.  Great guns and CO2 is way under appreciated as a propellant. Once you put in the trigger modification, put in the stock extensions, these youth intended 10m target guns are a huge bang for the buck.

Daisy vs Anschutz....need I say more?

The above picture or scan is for real!  In my Texas house I could shoot 10m indoors and even bench off the bed.  So, I put a 24x scope on each gun and fired 10 pellets at each dot.  First with the Anschutz.  The first objective was to match some pellets with my gun and then do the same for the 4H guns.  I had purchased 25,000 pellets from CMP for very little money.  Well, there was a reason why there were so cheap.  In truth, for the kids who were shooting, it did not really matter. Still, I wanted some data to see if there really was any difference.  In the process I learned more than just how poor the Daisy Chinese pellets were, I learned how good the Daisy was. 

I just about pinched myself after I finished with the Daisy.  I had a little buyers regret over the Anschutz which was 8x more money than the Daisy.  But, to make myself feel better, I went out and bought a sleeve (5,000) of JSB SCHaK pellets.   Look at the difference or lack of difference between the two guns! Words cannot describe it!!

So, if you think I am pulling your leg by suggesting you pick up a Daisy, I'm not.  The Daisy 853/888/887 are all basically the same gun.  The 853 is a pump and is the first version of this design.  The 888 is the same gun, same stock but with CO2 power.  The 887 is a 888 with a full size stock.  

I own a 853 and would be happy to loan it to anyone interested.  If folks show up with 857s and want some friendly competition, I will park my Anschutz and shoot my 857 right next to them.

Next post?  So, if you want something a little nicer and can't handle being caught shooting a Daisy.....   At the risk of causing folks to vacillate over Daisy vs the FWB300 and end up doing nothing.  Come on, $200 bucks for a Daisy....$100 if we put a club order together.......shoot groups like the above?  What are you waiting for?????

No comments:

Post a Comment