>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mud Season....dang it!


Well, Mark joined me in the first trip to the local range in 2011. Yes, we still have plenty of snow. 12" in some places and nice old gooey mud under the firing line shelter. I guess snow is a good thing as the range is not yet a pond. Maybe in a few weeks.

We trudged from the parking lot with our gear and it was only 36F and blowing. I think we only spent a hour shooting as it was just not that fun with cold wind, boots stuck in muck.  And the wind! Good practice for Texas but I could use a few more degrees on the mercury. But, darn few hits and 24x and wind is a problem! I found I was snatching at the trigger which does little to deliver a good shot. SQUEEZE and just work on that hold if you can. I shoot at 7/8" dots from Avery found at Staples.  Or a bingo marker but those are too small for me after no real practice.

The picture you ask? Of course the one time I wish my magazine well was too tight which is usually is, it just fell right into the mud when I pushed the release forward. Argh! Thank goodness I had an extra. A small project to work on shortly.

One tip I will pass on is how to get the most out of this type of practice. First, although some find it boring, paper is the best thing to practice on because you SEE your exact POI vs where it broke. Seeing an animal fall is fun but who knows where you REALLY hit it. And, misses are always by 1/64th when on steel ;). Paper helps bring out the truth! The new tip is to shoot once and then just cycle the bolt and dry fire to see your follow through. Just pop the bolt up and then back down and take a second shot. Some even take 1 live shot to every 5 dry fires. Saves ammo and helps you see what you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment