>>> 2023 Schedule and results as match is completed

+ + New Hampshire Silhouette Match Schedule, Results, Past and Present + +

2023 NH Silhouette Season  (last updated 6/23/2023 as results are collected from prior events)  Updated, no regional. April 30 PEMI LAR May ...

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Approaching the target

While in Texas I had some discussion about how folks approach the target.  I shared my approach and it was kindly suggested my method was sub optimal. My approach has been to move up from the bottom of the animal.  For chickens, I come up from the bottom and POA is the leg, POI is the body.  Pigs, ditto but POA is the hole in between the legs.  I commented that I often struggle to get the dot to "move up" and it seems to stay glued right below the animal.  Once I do move it up it appears to move around more than it was below.  And, sometimes when I do break on the animal, if my follow through fails me, I will often overshoot the animal.  Think think think! 

Here is one person's advice.  By starting at the bottom and moving up, I am fighting gravity and therefore I am using muscles, never a good thing when shooting off hand.  Instead, start at the top and settle in through either letting air out and/or relaxing muscles.  This may be a better approach than trying to muscle the dot up to the animal.  I tried during the match but found it "unpracticed" relative to my "come up" approach.  Still, it is something I am going to try.  I also did some searching to see if this has already been exhaustively covered by someone else. I read a Tubb article that covers it a bit but it provides yet another approach.  Grist for the mill. YMMV.

No comments:

Post a Comment